Thursday, February 18, 2010

Angkor Wat 1/2 Marathon, Take 2

6 December 2009
Following the whirlwind tour to MuiNe and to Cat Tien (I could not go with the family to CTNP- had to get back to my students..but I heard it was great fun!!) we put my family on a plane and took them to Siem Reap, Cambodia for a weekend of AMAZING ruins and a fun run..one of the most fun, in fact.

The ruins were beautiful, as always. It was odd being a 2nd time visitor-lots of things had changed since our visit last year. Mostly it was at one of the ruins where things have been left in its natural state..they are having to close off certain parts of the complex, rerouting visitors down different paths, and renovating other areas due to safety.

The run was good fun! Jonathan ran as the gibbon again and my brother ran as the gaur. I might someday run in a costume, but I just have fun running support for the animals! My friends, Amina and Gianmarco, ran the half-marathon! So did my friend, Karen. I think, in all, the overwhelming opinion of Cambodia is: We love it!
Our guesthouse where we stayed:


Here's one of our tuk-tuks. My parents loved the driver..and for the life of me, I can't remember his name! Ha-Ha! His name was Sook-Ti. It was painted on the side of his Tuk-tuk!
Ta-dah!!
Peek-a-boo! It's Sher!
Here we are trying to avoid the heat at one of the ruins.
That's very thoughtful. Thank you.
Dave, this is for you.
Sunday morning. Sunrise as we get ready for the race.
J, a la Gibbon, after the race.
J getting interviewed by a radio station in Phnom Penh.
The whole family. Dave (a.k.a. the Gaur) was really as tired as he looks here.
The whole animal gang with the amazing Pisei.
Karen and the Gibbon-Gaur duo after the run. So, the gaur costume managed to rub Dave's nose raw within the first kilometer. At one point he took of the head and there was blood everywhere.

No comments: