Thursday, February 3, 2011

September- a national holiday in DaLat

Our first holiday, early September, was spent in DaLat. Jonathan had been here with Fulbright and really enjoyed the hotel: big-people-sized bathtubs and terry robes..OH WOW! So we took a bus- I from Saigon, picking Jonathan up at Tan Phu along the way. I had purchased two tickets for the whole trip and was adamant about my seat being saved for Jonathan, who was working in the forest and then taking a motorbike out to the junction to meet me. If I haven't mentioned it already, I must say that some of my favorite folks here are the motorbike drivers. They take on any adventure with a willing and convincing "OK!" J's driver waited with him, looking out for the BIG ORANGE BUS coming from Saigon, flagging it down for J when we arrived.
On our ride in Jonathan began to get the sweats, which continued all weekend long- he was laid up in the hotel with a fever that wiped all his energy.
The ubiquitous market shot. The Market in DaLat is super fun!
At school, we were getting ready to do an activity with popcorn and our 5 senses. The only kind of popcorn I'd ever seen in HCMC is microwave popcorn-not very effective for the activity. So I decided to go searching for some at the market while visiting DaLat. The woman in the brown with the conical hat, she was my "guide" leading me to a shop that sold popcorn! Mission accomplished!
Jonathan's going to hate me for this one, but here we are on our only outing-going for pizza. NOT feeling well here, but it was the best he'd felt since we arrived.
Down the road from our hotel, which was out and away from the downtown area, I found a wee market and this wonderful woman who was making up some banh xeo-a tasty crepe-like thing filled with pork, shrimp and bean sprouts. We usually get them with no meat and they are super-delicious. I got take-away from her a couple of times! YUM!!

No comments: