Thursday, February 10, 2011

Angkor Wat Half Marathon, Take 3

This December, Jonathan and I, and several teachers from my school traveled to Siem Reap for another go at the Angkor Wat half marathon. Jonathan traveled with our friends and colleagues in the conservation world and ran the 10k in the gibbon costume. This year I trained with some teacher friends and ran the 1/2 marathon! What a fantastic event! We left shortly after sunrise-if you ever make the trek to Angkor Wat, be sure to catch a sunrise at the main temples-it's breath-taking! During the first 10k I had the sound of chanting floating in on the fog from the forest. During the second 10k several Khmer families lined up along the road and cheered us on with words of encouragement and high-fives. My friend and inspiration, Karen, met me for the last couple of kilometers. Not only did she run the half, but then she ran back at least 2 other times to meet us and run us in to the finish. I managed to find the energy to "sprint" to the finish...then to the massage tent where I deliriously tried to pay for a massage that was free..it was good fun!
Getting ready before the run.
Runnin' runnin' runnin'..round 15k in..
Running towards the gate.
Drummers set up outside of Bayon temple.
Stacey, Jonathan, and Lisa after the run!

No comments: