Friday, October 31, 2008

Daily Life in Vietnam




Friday, October 31, 2008
BOOOO! Happy Halloween! 
Some of you may be wondering what a typical day is like here in Vietnam. Well, it kind of depends on whether I am in the city or in the park. When I am in the city, I usually have something to do, like voting, buying things for the field, or taking care of business. It is kind of the relaxing part of the time here. I get up around 6, get some coffee, and check email. This is the best time to chat with me since the internet connection is great where we stay (with our friends Bert and Sherri, who have a house here for the year). There is an excellent bakery about 2 blocks away, so I frequently go for a walk to the bakery to get some fresh bread for breakfast and lunch. When I return to the house, I eat and get ready to go. I then go wander around getting things done. I like to eat lunch at home, but if I am out wandering around, I will get some food out at a restaurant. I like to have a rest in the afternoon because it is very hot and humid, which makes me tired quickly. 

After a rest (a cold shower, a cool drink, and an hour of reading), I like to go for a coffee, and then continue to get things done. The afternoon usually involves the market-either the supermarket or the open-air markets. I have made some acquaintances with the vendors at the market nearby, so I like to go by, say hello and chat. Afterwards, we usually cook or eat dinner out. Since our food choices are a bit limited in Cat Tien, we LOVE to get some different foods. Our favorites are: salads, PIZZA, and sandwiches! 

No comments: